Disclosure: I received compensation in exchange for this guest post by Kristin Beischel.
Here’s the other amazing part: the recipe makes enough for one cake and four cupcakes. It’s genius. I didn’t feel like doing all the math to cut the recipe by 2/3, so I realized no one is going to complain when they get a few cupcakes for themselves! Here’s how I made it…
We butter and flour our cake pan and line our cupcake pan with 4 liners. Don’t forget to line your cake pan with parchment. It will make it much easier to get out!
Pumpkin Cake With Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from David Leite
Yield: 1 9-inch cake AND 4 cupcakes
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup firmly packed dark-brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups cake flour (or if you don’t have cake flour: 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour + ¼ cup cornstarch)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk mixed with 1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 9-inch circle, 8x8, or 9x9 cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Additionally, line a cupcake pan with 4 liners.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and pepper into a medium bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, to the mixer, scraping down the sides after each addition.
- Alternate adding the flour and milk mixtures, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Beat in the pumpkin until smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the 4 cupcake liners. I use a large ice cream scoop to make it easy, but you’re looking to get them 3/4 full. Scoop the rest of the batter into the cake pan.
- Insert the cupcake pan and cake pans into the oven. Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. The cake will take a bit longer, 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- In a stand mixer beat all the ingredients on medium until fluffy. Frost the tops of each cupcake and the cake, swirling decoratively.