Preventing Accidental Poisoning of Children

Do you have small children at home? Is your home REALLY safe enough? More than 2 million poisonings are reported each year, according to PosionPrevention.org, and more than 90 percent of these poisonings occur in the home with the majority of non-fatal poisonings occurring in children younger than six years old. Jennifer Hoekstra, Injury Prevention program coordinator with Helen DeVos Children's Hospital in Grand Rapids, MI, says many people may be surprised at the household items that can poison our children.

Household dangers:

  • Make-up: rather than leave it on the counter, put it back in the make-up bag up in the cupboard, or locked in a drawer.
  • Laundry Pods: find a secure place to keep the laundry supplies so they are not accessible to children.
  • Plants: know the type of plant you have, keep it up high so the child cannot reach it.
  • Art supplies: some types of art supplies are not meant for small children, be sure to find a secure location for the toxic "adult only" art supplies.
  • Chewable Vitamins (especially those with iron): children can confuse these vitamins with candy. Be sure to teach your children that medicine or vitamins should only be taken to help you get better or stay healthy. It is important to keep the vitamins in their original container and keep them up in a high cabinet rather than on the counter where little hands can reach them.
  • Lead based paint: take a look around your house for peeling or chipping paint - this can be potentially poisonous for your children. Be sure to take great caution when scrapping or cleaning areas with peeling or chipping paint.
  • "Grandma's" purse: many times we have people come and go in our homes and they just toss their purse or bag in the corner of the room. So many American's in today's society take some type of medication and often carry it with them in their bag or purse. This presents a very surprising danger in our homes. Kids of all ages (including teens) can get into adult purses and bags and can get into medication that is very dangers. Have a designated spot up high and out of sight for guests to keep their bags and purses.
  • Carbon Monoxide: Many appliances in the home can produce an odor-less color-less gas which can be very poisonous for children. Carbon Monoxide is the leading cause of poisoning for children in the home. Be sure to have your furnace checked every year and install a carbon monoxide alarm!

1 comment:

  1. This is very helpful because all it takes is for a few minutes for your child to get into something he or she isn't supposed too.


Your comments bring more sponsors to Planet Weidknecht, which brings more great information and giveaways to the blog. I appreciate your comments and read every single one. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!