- 53.7% of people who regifted said they did so because they couldn't use the gift.
- 62.2% said they did so because they thought someone else could be appreciate the gift.
- Women are more likely to regift than men, a ratio of 3 to 1.
- The most common items regifted are home decor, antiques, and books.
- 53% of regifters rewrap the present to make it look new.
- Regifters are most likely to give regifted items to friends, neighbors and colleagues.
Regifting items can certainly save money, but be very careful if you plan to regift because you just might get your gift added to the list below of the most embarrassing items people have received from a regifter:
- Monogrammed items with someone else’s initials
- Two-year-old fruitcake
- Box of chocolates with bites taken out of several pieces
- Electric toothbrush
- Fingernail clippers
- False teeth
- Used toilet seat
- Outdated desk calendar
- Items the recipient had originally given to the gifter
- Toys with broken pieces
- Gift cards that were partially used
Bookoo.com wants to hear about your regifting stories! By sharing your story, you could win up to two $50 American Express Gift Cards to help with your holiday shopping. To enter to win, fill in the Rafflecopter form below. Only the first entry is mandatory; bonus entries increase your chance to win. You must be at least 18 years old and reside in the USA. Giveaway ends at midnight ET on 12/8/2012. Good luck!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Based in Oswego, Ill., Bookoo offers a network of hyper-local online yard sales for hundreds of communities around the world. Each Bookoo site connects neighbors, allowing them to safely buy and sell their treasures locally, and to view a map of upcoming yard sales in their area. Free and easy to use, anyone can search and post items for sale on Bookoo.com or through the free mobile app for iPhone and Android. Inspired by their passion for finding hidden treasures at yard sales, brothers and yard sale fanatics, Adam and Austin Allgaier, founded Bookoo in 2004 and continue to expand into new markets worldwide. Today, more than a million people buy and sell just about anything on Bookoo every month. Join the world’s funnest darn tootin’ yard sale community at Bookoo.com!
Research Methodological Notes:
The Bookoo Regifting Survey was a national survey among 3774 Americans ages 21-years and over conducted between October 30 and November 5, 2010 using an online survey. Results of any sample are subject to sampling variation. The magnitude of the variation is measurable and is affected by the number of responses and the level of the percentages expressing the results. In this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 4.0 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if responses had been collected from all persons in the universe represented by the sample.